2016-2017 Breitling College Visits Grant Program
The Breitling College Visit Program was created in 1994 by Jacqueline Breitling, who learned the value of visiting colleges from her own children’s experiences. She was moved to establish a fund to cover the often considerable expenses involved with out-of-state travel.
Girls Inc. of Carpinteria and the Santa Barbara Foundation are proud to manage this award for the benefit of young women interested in attending colleges out-of-state.
- Scholarship funds are for travel to out-of-state colleges only during 2017.
- Applicant must be a female high school senior graduating in June 2017 from a Santa Barbara County high school, who has attended school for at least four years at a Santa Barbara County school.
- Applicant must be a citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States.
Application Deadline: October 28, 2016
Girls Inc. National Scholarships
National High School Scholarship
The program is funded through a generous bequest from Lucile Miller Wright, a visionary and long-time supporter of Girls Inc. and young women. $20,000 and $5,000 scholarships will be awarded. Scholarships may be applied to direct educational expenses at any accredited college or university. Awards are held in escrow until scholars begin post-secondary education; must be completely used within six years.
- Applicant must be currently engaged with Girls Inc. as an active program participant; IF NOT current member/participant, the applicant MUST be either a current affiliate volunteer OR a current affiliate employee.
- Minimum participation in Girls Inc. programming of 24 months. Participation requirement must be completed at the time of application. Time as a volunteer or employee does not count toward this requirement.
- Currently enrolled as high school junior or senior (grade 11, 12, or equivalent).
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8 on a 4.00 scale.
“Strong, Smart & Bold” 8th Grade Scholarship
The program is funded through a generous bequest from Lucile Miller Wright, a visionary and long-time supporter of Girls Inc. and young women.
$500 scholarships will be awarded to up to TEN 8th grade Girls Inc. members/ participants. Awards are held in escrow until scholars begin post-secondary education. If recipients of this award continue their involvement with Girls Inc., they will still be eligible to apply for the Lucile Miller Wright National Scholarship Program as a high school junior or senior.
- Currently engaged with Girls Inc. as active program members/ participants.
- Participation in Girls Inc. programming must be at least 24 months, at the time of application.
- Currently enrolled as 8th Grade student at the time of application.
- Minimum Cumulative GPA of 2.8 on a 4.00 scale (based on final 7th Grade Report).